USS Stern was a Cannon-class destroyer escort laid down on August 12, 1943 and launched on October 31, the same year. It was commissioned on December 1, 1943 under Comdr. James R. Hinton’s command with the hull number DE-187 and served in the US Navy for 3 years until it was decommissioned on April 26, 1946. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 216 men on board and had the main missions in Bermuda, New York, Maine, North Africa, Casablanca, Bizerte, San Diego, Ulithi, the Marshalls, the Carolines, Luzon, Guam or the Philippines. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck on March 7, 1951 and transferred to the Netherlands, where it was renamed Van Zijll. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Stern received 3 battle stars.