The USS Talbot County (LST-1153), a tank landing ship (LST) built for the United States Navy just after World War II, was laid down as LST-1153 on 19 July 1945 at the Boston Navy Yard. She was launched on 24 April 1947 with Mrs. Lena Mickelson as the sponsor and commissioned on 3 September 1947. The Talbot County class tank landing ships had a displacement of 6,000 long tons, a length of 382 feet, a beam of 54 feet, and a draft of 14 feet 5 inches. The ship was decommissioned on 3 April 1970 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Orange, Texas. Struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 1 May 1973, it was sold for scrapping by the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service one year later, on 1 May 1974. Asbestos-containing materials were utilized on Navy ships for thermal and electrical resistance, as well as non-flammability, for the majority of the twentieth century. Veterans diagnosed with an illness caused by inhaling asbestos fibers while serving in the military are often compensated financially through one or more of the established asbestos trust funds, as well as VA claims.