The USS Timbalier was a Barnegat-class seaplane tender of the U.S. Navy that served between 1946 and 1954. It was laid down by Lake Washington Shipyard in 1942 and sponsored by Mrs. S. B. Dunlap. The first commander of the ship was Captain James E. Johnson. In 1954, the USS Timbalier was decommissioned and placed in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, and in 1960, it was struck from the Navy List. Afterward, the ship was sold to Panagiotis Kokkinos of Piraeus, Greece.
Like numerous other military ships built between 1920 and 1980, the USS Timbalier contained over 300 asbestos products, which greatly endangered the health of the people who served on it. For this reason, veterans who were aboard this ship need to keep a close eye on their health, as they have a high risk of developing serious diseases as a consequence of asbestos exposure. In 1989, the USS Timbalier was scrapped. Compensation from the VA and asbestos trust funds is available for those diagnosed with asbestos-related diseases.