The USS Triana was an unclassified miscellaneous vessel and the second ship of the US Navy to be named for Rodrigo de Triana, the discoverer of the Americas. The ship was laid down in December 1943 under a Maritime Commission by California Shipbuilding Corporation as the Liberty Ship SS Elinor Whylie. It was acquired from the WSA by the Navy in May 1945, renamed, converted, and commissioned at Pearl Harbor with Lieutenant Wyman W. Hodgkins in command. In 1944, the ship suffered heavy damage by an underwater explosion. The ship was too heavily damaged to remain in service, but it was repaired and converted into a floating storage ship at Pearl Harbor. In July 1944, while the vessel was carrying over 4 tons of cargo, sailing for the Marshall Islands, developed a leak in one of its holds and further loading operations were canceled. After repairs, the USS Triana steamed for Guam carrying a large load of lubricating oil and then it was sent back to the US for inactivation. After it was decommissioned at San Francisco, California, the vessel was placed in the reserve fleet at Suisun Bay and later sold to Lerner Company in September 1958.