USS Vance was an Edsall-class destroyer escort laid down on April 30, 1943 and launched on July 16, the same year. It was commissioned on November 1, 1943 under Lt. Comdr. E. A. Anderson’s command with the hull number DE-387 and served in the US Navy for 26 years until it was decommissioned on October 10, 1969. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 209 people on board and had the main missions in Norfolk, Boston, Pearl Harbor, Casablanca, New York, Far East or Green Cove Springs. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on June 1, 1975 and used as a target ship during training exercises in 1985.