USS Vinton was a Tolland-class attack cargo ship laid down on June 20, 1944 and launched on August 25, the same year. It was commissioned on February 23, 1945 under Comdr. John D. Hoffman’s command and served in the US Navy for 1 year until it was decommissioned on March 16, 1946. It carried a complement of 425 men on board. During the World War II, the ship operated in the Marianas, Pearl Harbor, Panama, Okinawa, Ryukyus or the Western Carolines. After the decommissioning, USS Vinton was struck from the Navy List on June 5, 1946. Later, the ship was sold to Lykes Brothers Steamship Co and then transferred to the Gulf and South American Steamship Co. where it was renamed SS Gulf Shipper.