The USS Webster (ARV-2) was a Chourre-class aircraft repair ship, built at Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard Baltimore, MD., during World War II. The USS Webster (ARV-2) keel was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract on 1 July 1944, launched on 5 August 1944 and placed in commission at Baltimore on 17 March 1945, with Captain Jesse G. Johnson in command. During and after World War II the USS Webster (ARV-2) was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater. Following World War II, the USS Webster (ARV-2) performed occupation duty from 29 September to 2 November 1945. During the years of World War II, large quantities of asbestos used by shipyards as they built ships exposed thousands of naval personnel performing activities and maintenance duties above and below the deck. Exposure to asbestos aboard naval vessels caused many veterans to develop serious asbestos-related conditions. Struck from the Navy list on 1 September 1962, the USS Webster (ARV-2) was simultaneously transferred to the Maritime Administration for lay-up and subsequently she was scrapped.