The USS Whippet was the second ship in service of the US Navy to bear this name. It was built during World War II at the Delta Shipbuilding Company in New Orleans, Louisiana under a MARCOM contract and launched in December 1943. Once it was commissioned by the Navy, the ship underwent its shakedown out of New Orleans and started its service in the South Pacific. During the war, the USS Whippet served as a station tanker in the Society Islands for several months and then sailed for the Central Pacific where it served as a station tanker as well, between various forward bases, including Eniwetok, the Marianas, Palau Islands, and the Philippines. The ship also took part in the Okinawa invasion, operation out of Saipan and Ryukyu Islands. Once the war ended, the ship was sent back to the United States. It was decommissioned at San Francisco, California and transferred back to the War Shipping Administration to be placed in the reserve fleet at Suisun Bay. The USS Whippet received two battle stars for its service brought to the country during World War II.