USS Williams was a John C. Butler-class destroyer escort laid down on June 5, 1944 and launched on August 22, the same year. It was commissioned on November 11, 1944 under Lt. Cmdr. L. F. Loutrel’s command as DE-372 and served in the US Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on June 4, 1946. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 215 people on board and had the main missions in Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, New London, Leyte, Manus, Boston, Panama Canal, Espiritu Santo or Ulithi. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on July 1, 1967 and used as a target ship during training exercises the following year.