USS Willmarth was a Buckley-class destroyer escort laid down on June 25, 1943 and launched on November 21, the same year. It was commissioned on March 13, 1944 under Lt. Comdr. James G. Thorburn’s command with the hull number DE-638 and served in the US Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on April 26, 1946. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 213 men on board and it had the main missions in Hawaii, the Marshalls, Eniwetok, Tulagi, New Guinea, Leyte, Palaus or Samar. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on December 1, 1966. Two years later, in 1968 the ship was sold for scrapping. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Willmarth received 4 battle stars.