The USS Zaurak was a cargo ship belonging to the Crater-class that was acquired and commissioned by the U.S. Navy to be used during World War II. The ship was originally built in Houston, Texas by the Todd-Houston Shipbuilding Corporation under the name of SS Hugh Young and launched in November 1943. Once the ship underwent conversion at Todd Johnson Yard, the ship joined the Marianas Campaign, supporting the invasion with troops, and then sailed for the Philippines transporting reinforcements and supplies for the forces that had just invaded Leyte. On this mission, the ship went under enemy fire and managed to shot down one enemy aircraft and damage several others. The ship departed the Philippines area in November 1944 and spent its next three months transporting cargo between various ports in Guadalcanal, Espiritu Santo, New Caledonia, Bougainville, Green Island, Oro Bay and Finschhafen, and then sailed to Munda to embark troops for the Iwo Jima Operation that was still in progress at the time. Immediately after the war ended, the USS Zaurak was sent to Shanghai, China and later, Jinsen, Korea, to trade replacement troops for men returning home to the U.S. The ship reached San Francisco in late December 1945 and it was decommissioned there in March, the next year. It was placed in the reserve fleet at Suisun Bay, California where it remained until it was scrapped in 1963.