The first Victory ship not named after a country, the SS Atchinson Victory, was completed on the 8th of June 1944 and turned over to the civilian contractor American President Lines. Serving in the Pacific for the duration of WWII, the ship was sold to British contractor Furness Withy in 1946 to be retrofitted as a 1-st class accommodations cargo liner running the route between Alexandria and New York. Named after medieval Egyptian warlord Salah El Din (Saladin) in 1960, the ship was nationalized and transferred to the United Arab Maritime Company in 1961. After a fire that took place in 1963, it was purchase by the Salvador Investment Company for repairs. An engine room blaze in 1964 put her out of commission. It was scrapped in 1965.
Despite her fate, many parts of the Atchinson Victory were heavily lined with fire-resistant asbestos. This hazardous chemical might have exposed the ship's crew to hight levels of toxicity. People working in the engine rooms, fire control room, boilers, and propulsion rooms were at higher risk of inhaling asbestos and developing correlated lung diseases as the mineral was present in large quantities in these areas.