Best known for having supervised the Richmond Shipyards in Richmond, California, Permanente Metals Corporation was built in 1942, and it also managed the Kaiser Shipyards. Actually, four of the seven west coast Kaiser Shipyards have put up Liberty ships and, later, Victory ships. Richmond Shipyards Permanente Metals Corporation was originally a major producer of magnesium during World War II. The shipyard also developed and supplied a bomb mixture of magnesium powder, asphalt, gasoline, and other components, known as "goop". It had similar characteristics to napalm, and 17,000 short tons of goop-filled bombs were used in World War II. People who worked there were heavily exposed to asbestos, which is why we suggest regular screening for lung disease.